Scaling and Root Planing – North Grafton, MA
Stopping the Progression
of Gum Disease
At Theroux Dental Associates, our team of experts knows how to stop the progress of periodontal disease when caught early. If you are suffering from red, inflamed, and bleeding gums as a result of poor oral hygiene, we can take the necessary steps to minimize worsening symptoms and help restore your gum health. With scaling and root planing in North Grafton, we can remove hardened plaque before smoothing out your tooth roots to reduce your chances of reinfection. If you believe you might benefit from this type of service, contact our office today to schedule an appointment.
Why Choose Theroux Dental Associates for Scaling and Root Planing?
- Comfort Amenities to Ensure a Relaxed Visit
- Advanced Dental Technology and State-of-the-Art Equipment
- Dental Insurance Welcome and Financing Available
Do I Need Scaling and Root Planing?
Unsure if you need scaling and root planing? The only way to know for sure is to schedule a visit with Dr. Theroux or Dr. Kovach. Their knowledge and expertise will allow them to review your oral cavity, check your gums and determine if early periodontal disease in North Grafton is the problem. While it is best to catch it in its earliest stages (gingivitis) because of the high potential to reverse the symptoms, it often spreads quickly and can require scaling and root planing to fix.
Should the plaque and bacteria on your teeth move beneath the gum line and begin to attack the soft oral tissues, you will discover that small gum pockets will begin to form, causing your soft tissues to bleed and become tender to the touch. If you notice any of the following symptoms, there is a good chance you will require scaling and root planing:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, tender soft tissues
- Gum recession causing your teeth to appear longer than they are
- Sensitivity when brushing or coming into contact with hot or cold temperatures
How Does Scaling & Root Planing Work?
Scaling and root planing is a two-part process. When arriving for your appointment, we will use specialized dental instruments to remove hardened plaque and tartar buildup beneath the gum line (scaling). Once this is completed, we will then move on to the root scaling portion that involves smoothing and reshaping the tooth roots to make it increasingly difficult for plaque to form and grow on your teeth. As a result, it will minimize your chances of reinfection, allowing your gums to heal and reattach to your teeth.
Benefits of Scaling and Root Planing
By choosing to undergo scaling and root planing to treat gum disease in North Grafton, you are not only taking a positive forward to improve your oral health, but you will also experience many great benefits, such as:
- Eliminating bacteria and plaque that can destroy bone and cause teeth to loosen or fall out
- Retaining your natural teeth and avoiding possible extraction that leads to necessary tooth replacement, which can be costly and time-consuming
- Improving your overall health by reducing the potential for inflammation to spread throughout your body and cause problems with your heart, brain, kidneys, and other organs